- Human Evolution Research
- Climate and Human Evolution
- Asian Research Projects
- East African Research Projects
- Human Origins Program Team
- What's Hot In Human Origins?
- Fossil Forensics: Interactive
- E. A. Mammal Dentition Database
- Human Evolution Evidence
- 3D Collection
- Human Fossils
- Human Family Tree
- Timeline Interactive
- Human Characteristics
- About Us
How Do We Know These Are Human Fossils?
They all have two features that distinguish humans from other apes, living and extinct.
- Both males and females have small canine teeth.
- The hole where the spinal cord enters the braincase is located toward the center—a clue to walking upright.
Small canines in males
Spinal cord enters braincase farther forward
Large canines in males
Spinal cord enters braincase farther back